Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Base Preview

I received my new sport yarn base yesterday. I am so excited about dyeing and having this in the shop! This 8 ply 100% sw merino yarn is cable plied. Instead of taking 8 singles and plying them together, the mill has taken four 2 ply yarns and plied those together making a bouncy, round yarn with good stitch definition. And 8 plies means a strong yarn that will wear well (like that uber popular European sock yarn!) Sport weight yarns are extremely versatile; still thin enough for socks and lace, but less bulky than worsted for hats, mittens or cowls. I haven't decided how to dye it up yet! Its structure makes it perfect for cables and texture, so I'm thinking kettle dyed semi-solids and super short color repeat hand paints.



I also scored some gorgeous sweaters for my reclaimed bases. I love love love love overdyeing and the blues I picked up will be perfect for the Grey series. I also found some Peruvian bulky and a wool/cotton/silk blend with yummy texture. I can't wait to dig in and see what happens in the dye pot!


No comments: