Thursday, December 24, 2009

January Shop Preview

The dye pots have been cooking for the past few days. I started dyeing up some Falkland and Merino fibers in long color repeats and playing around with grey. The grey that I tried for last month didn't come out as expected at all. Poking around at the palettes I created at colourlovers revealed many interesting color combos that paired grey with various colors both bright and deep. So I challenged myself to recreate some of these palettes for January in the Grey series.

The Maki below was spun and navajo plied on my Kundert drop spindle using 1 oz of Falkland top dyed in the Acid Trail palette. It's only about 30 yd of bulky weight but it's very squooshy and I love the color transitions.

Grey

I love fiber dyed this way! You can split it for shorter repeats or spin directly from the end for super long repeats (that's what I did with this yarn.) You could also separate the colors for even longer repeats or ply the different colors together for a different effect. The Falkland is crimpy but easy to draft and perfect for beginning spinners.

And don't forget we're having an After Christmas Sale! Come by Play at Life Fiber Arts and check out some gorgeous reclaimed and first quality yarns at a great price!

postxmas

No comments: